Donnerstag, 25. Mai 2017

[Review] The Star-Touched Queen - Roshani Chokshi



Titel:The Star-Touched Queen
Series: The Star-Touched Queen #1
Author/Autor: Roshani Chokshi
Publisher/Verlag: St Martin's Griffin
First Published/Erstveröffentlichung: 26.04.2016
Format: Kindle, 353. english
Synopsis/Inhalt: GoodReads
Review: 3*
TBR/Leseliste: x

Diese Rezension gibt es leider nicht auf deutsch.




Fate and fortune. Power and passion. What does it take to be the queen of a kingdom when you’re only seventeen?

Maya is cursed. With a horoscope that promises a marriage of death and destruction, she has earned only the scorn and fear of her father’s kingdom. Content to follow more scholarly pursuits, her whole world is torn apart when her father, the Raja, arranges a wedding of political convenience to quell outside rebellions. Soon Maya becomes the queen of Akaran and wife of Amar. Neither roles are what she expected: As Akaran’s queen, she finds her voice and power. As Amar’s wife, she finds something else entirely: Compassion. Protection. Desire…

But Akaran has its own secrets—thousands of locked doors, gardens of glass, and a tree that bears memories instead of fruit. Soon, Maya suspects her life is in danger. Yet who, besides her husband, can she trust? With the fate of the human and Otherworldly realms hanging in the balance, Maya must unravel an ancient mystery that spans reincarnated lives to save those she loves the most…including herself
-->GoodReads


[Overview]

I was really excited to start with this book, as I'd heard quite a few people talk about it, and everyone seemed to like it. More than that, it fits right in with what I've been reading lately. E.g. The Wrath and The Dawn and Rebel of the Sands. Sadly I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped I would.

[My Opinion]

The worldbuilding was the first thing that didn't quite meet my expectations. I had envisioned this beautiful, oriental world. I was hoping for vibrant colors, maybe a great palace or a deep jungle. 
I got both the palace and the jungle, but neither was well described. Considering the plot this can be overlooked, as only the barest part of the story is set there. ost of the story is set in another palace, in another world, but there seems to be no worldbuilding going on at all. 
I do not understand this world, and I do not know how to envision it, because it wasn't in the book. I like to be able to imagine some things for myself, but when nothing at all is set up it takes something away from the book. 

The characters felt flat, they didn't seem to have distinct personalities. The male love interest was hardly ever seen and was quite secretive. And not in a 'I'm-protecting-you-and-being-mysterious-along-the-way-Rhysand' kind of way. 
But the main problem is the Heroine, as she is the one the book is focused on. She seems to have neither a personality, nor any kind of opinion on anything. She does as she's told, no matter by whom. But not even with that she's consistent. Sometimes she just accepts what ever her love interest tells her, no matter how unbelivable and the next minute she's ready to run to the ends of the earth to get away from him, because someone else tells her he's evil. 
She is also very quick to jump to conclusions and somehow knows stuff she couldn't actually know because it was never explained. 

[Overall]

This book confused me greatly, I didn't undersand the world, the characters or the plot. And while I was bored for a big part of the book because nothing seemed to happen, I still read it within two days, because it was a very easy read for me. In the end I rated it 3 stars.

Keine Kommentare :

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Durch das Kommentieren auf diesem Blog erklären Sie sich mit der Speicherung und Verarbeitung Ihrer angegebenen Daten durch diese Webseite einverstanden. Um die Übersicht über Kommentare zu behalten und Missbrauch zu verhindern, speichert diese Webseite Name, E-Mail, Kommentar sowie IP-Adresse und Zeitstempel Ihres Kommentars. Sie können Ihre Kommentare später jederzeit wieder löschen.
Detaillierte Informationen finden Sie in meiner Datenschutzerklärung und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google.