Montag, 15. Mai 2017

[Review] A Court of Wings and Ruin - Sarah J Maas


Titel: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #3
Author/Autor: Sarah J Maas
Publisher/Verlag: Bloomsbury Childrens
First Published/Erstveröffentlichung: 02.05.2017
Format: Kindle, 720, english
Synopsis/Inhalt: GoodReads
Review: 5*
TBR/Leseliste: -

Da dieses Buch noch nicht auf deutsch erhältlich ist, gibt es auch keine deutsche Rezension.




Looming war threatens all Feyre holds dear in the third volume of the #1 New York Times bestselling A Court of Thorns and Roses series.

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's manoeuvrings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit – and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.

As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords – and hunt for allies in unexpected places.

In this thrilling third book in the #1 New York Times bestselling series from Sarah J. Maas, the earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all.
--GoodReads 


[Overview/Cover]

So first of all, let me say, I will write this in two parts, the first one spoiler free, the second part full of spoilers. Also, if you haven't read the first two books in the series, there will probably be some more spoilers.

Just as most everyone else, at least it feels that way, I was incredibly excited for the release of the last book in this series, and I couldn't wait to read it. (Yes I know there will be more books) And overall I was quite happy with it, but there were a lot of things that I had problems with, so don't be surprised if this review seems to be quite negative. I still absolutely loved the book.


[My Opinion - Non Spoiler]

The first two part of the book were simply amazing. The story continued with Feyre in the Spring Court, pretending to be a good litle wifey, recovering from her ordeal in the Night Court. I think this really showed how far she has come since the first book. She is truy strong now and secure in her love with Rhysand and the true High Lady of Night Court.

But the lst part of the book felt incredibly rushed. A lot of things happend in a short span of time and most of them weren't very well executed. She could have done incredible things here but she just wrote down a lot of ideas and rushed trough them close to the end. 

Also the way things ended wasn't well done either. Don't get me wrong, I loved the ending, it was exactly what I'd hoped for, only problem was it was the ending I, and probably a lot of other Fans, wished for, not the ending that would've been best for the characters.


[My Opinion - Spoilers]

As I already said, my problems mainly started in the last part of the book. Where to begin?

Let's start with Mor. Contrary to some other people I don't mind the fact that she hid her sexuality all this time, because I can understand her reasoning, considering her family, and Sarah also made sure to show that same-sex couples were quite accepted, not only in the Courts in general, but also within the inner circle. What troubled me, was the fact that it came out of nowhere and seemed incredibly rushed. After she'd told Feyre about it, there was hardly a mention any more and nothing in Mors behavior changed. 
And while I didn't mind her denial itself, I was really disappointed with her stringing Azriel along for almost 500 years, which is not only a marker for a bad friend, but also something that doesn't really fit with her character. 
To me this whole ordeal didn't seem like something that has been true all along and simply hidden, but like something that Sarah just wanted to add and tried to fit into an already existing world.

Azriel leads me to my next point, Elain. I liked the fact, that she didn't immediately fall in love with Lucien and it was very realistic, that she couldn't get over her former fiancé. But as things didn't change between them throughout the whole book, I feel like it is a loose end, which Sarah didn't tie up properly. I get that she needed Elain to be Luciens Mate to get him out of the Spring Court, but I think it would have been even better, if Lucien had left Tamlin because he realized Tamlin was in the wrong and Feyre was a really good friend. 
And then there is Azriel. Elain doesn't even want to talk to Lucien, yet she takes to Azriel. I do understand, that beeing Mates doesn't equal beeing in love and there is always a choice. But again, the idea of showing this fact is a good one, the execution was done in a bad way. It seems like Elain is beeing used as a plot device, both to get Lucien to the Night Court and to soften the blow of Mors treatment of Azriel by setting him up with a potential new love interest.
I like the idea of a triad forming, but let's be honest, this probably wasn't Sarahs intention. They are just two more plot lines that seemed very pointless, badly executed and left as loose ends.

And then Amrens betrayal, death and rebirth. Where to start? Amrens betrayal was another thing, that seems totally pointless since it was so rushed and basically happened and was only talked about in like one page. I was left wondering why it even happened, there were no repercusions at all, and everything that happened because of it, namely Feyre dealing with the Cauldron on her own and Amren dying, could have been achieved without the betrayal. 
Her rebirth was the one thing that left me feeling like the end was ment to be fan service rather than the true, organically evolved ending. I love the fact that she is now fae, that she has finally found a partner, and that the inner circle is still complete, but that's just not the way it was supposed to happen. Amren wanted to be free. Deserved to be free. To have a battle of those proportions with all the heros surviving is exactly what I'd hoped for, exactly what I wanted, but not at all what's realistic.

As for the other things that happened at the very end and seemed incredibly rushed and pointless because there were no repercussions? I get that Rhysand had to be alive in the end, I don't believe this was a fan service and I don't believe this is unrealistic, but I don't get why he had to die beforehand. Again, if this would have been less rushed, if Feyre had had to fight for his survival, or if he'd been badly wounded and it would've been touch and go for a while, it'd been interesting. It would have added something to the story, but like this, hardly a few pages and no consequences? 


[Overall]

I still loved the book and rated it 5 stars. This might seem wired to you, after reading my rant, but all these things hardly registerd with me while I read. While I read it I absolutely loved it. Once I was finished and thought back on it I became more aware of all the problems, but even so, I want to reread it right away.




Keine Kommentare :

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Durch das Kommentieren auf diesem Blog erklären Sie sich mit der Speicherung und Verarbeitung Ihrer angegebenen Daten durch diese Webseite einverstanden. Um die Übersicht über Kommentare zu behalten und Missbrauch zu verhindern, speichert diese Webseite Name, E-Mail, Kommentar sowie IP-Adresse und Zeitstempel Ihres Kommentars. Sie können Ihre Kommentare später jederzeit wieder löschen.
Detaillierte Informationen finden Sie in meiner Datenschutzerklärung und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google.