Samstag, 25. November 2017

[Review] Wintersong - S. Jae-Jones



Titel: Wintersong
Series: Wintersong #1
Author: S. Jae-Jones
Publisher: Titan Books
Format: Paperback
Synopsis: GoodReads

 
Beware the goblin men and the wares they sell.

All her life, nineteen-year-old Liesl has heard tales of the beautiful, mysterious Goblin King. He is the Lord of Mischief, the Ruler Underground, and the muse around which her music is composed. Yet, as Liesl helps shoulder the burden of running her family’s inn, her dreams of composition and childish fancies about the Goblin King must be set aside in favor of more practical concerns.

But when her sister Käthe is taken by the goblins, Liesl journeys to their realm to rescue her sister and return her to the world above. The Goblin King agrees to let Käthe go—for a price. The life of a maiden must be given to the land, in accordance with the old laws. A life for a life, he says. Without sacrifice, nothing good can grow. Without death, there can be no rebirth. In exchange for her sister’s freedom, Liesl offers her hand in marriage to the Goblin King. He accepts.

Down in the Underground, Liesl discovers that the Goblin King still inspires her—musically, physically, emotionally. Yet even as her talent blossoms, Liesl’s life is slowly fading away, the price she paid for becoming the Goblin King’s bride. As the two of them grow closer, they must learn just what it is they are each willing to sacrifice: her life, her music, or the end of the world.
-->GoodReads 



I’d heard a lot about this book before I picked it up, and I was really excited to dive into this world.
While I logically knew that it is set in Germany and that there is a german legend at it’s center I was surprised and a little amused to read about it in such a way.
I usually prefer to read books in English, but this is one, where I found myself wishing for a german translation. There were german words and names used in the book and to me it sounded kinda off most of the time, as the conjugation of the german word often didn’t match the grammar of the english sentence. While I don’t think there is anything the author could have done to change this, as they are two different languages, it still took me out of the story when it happened.
Also, I had to think about this song/poem about the ‘Erlkönig’ I learned in school all the time ..

‘Wer reitet so spät durch Nacht und Wind, es ist der Vater mit seinem Kind..‘

But let’s talk about the actual book and not my memories.
The story has quite the dark theme and the general feeling is pretty dark as well. Jones build the ambience very well and I had no trouble imagining myself standing in the Goblin Groove or the underworld. The world she describes is equally fantastic and enchanting.

Just as enchanting as confusing is the Goblin King. While I felt like I was getting to know him a little bit I was just as confused by him towards the end as I was in the beginning. 
Lisl on the other hand was easier to understand and I had no problem connecting with her. I was a little disappointed in the beginning, as she only seemed to care for her brother and not her sister, but she grew a lot during her ordeal and realized, that her sister was as important to her as her brother, even if they don’t share the same bond.

The plot took us on a wild chase through the underworld and had me on the edge of my seat, so to speak. I never knew what turn the story would take and was fascinated the whole time. The second part of the book slowed down considerably, yet was equally intense.

While I did enjoy the writing and plot I prefer books that feel less dark, therefore I rated the book only three stars. I’m still looking forward to the nect book though.

 

Keine Kommentare :

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Durch das Kommentieren auf diesem Blog erklären Sie sich mit der Speicherung und Verarbeitung Ihrer angegebenen Daten durch diese Webseite einverstanden. Um die Übersicht über Kommentare zu behalten und Missbrauch zu verhindern, speichert diese Webseite Name, E-Mail, Kommentar sowie IP-Adresse und Zeitstempel Ihres Kommentars. Sie können Ihre Kommentare später jederzeit wieder löschen.
Detaillierte Informationen finden Sie in meiner Datenschutzerklärung und in der Datenschutzerklärung von Google.